Ultima is committed to having an open-minded workforce and culture where people feel comfortable to express themselves and their differences. We are fully inclusive and look to eliminate discrimination by promoting equality and diversity in all its aspects and we are working towards building and maintaining a culture which values diversity. Senior managers will keep up to date on any changes to new characteristics of discrimination (see below).
We will ensure that all employees, customers and learners will be treated fairly and with respect, and will not be discriminated against either directly or indirectly on the grounds of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religious belief, political opinion or affiliation, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age or disability.
To ensure our commitment is met, we will embed Equality and Diversity into training sessions for learners. In our offices and training rooms, resources and posters will be present and made available. We will also discuss at all staff 1-2-1’s and team meetings. Due to the importance of equality, diversity and inclusion, this is always at the forefront of our mind as we thrive to achieve an inclusive environment that treats every individual equally and that doesn’t discriminate.
The protected characteristics within the Equality Act are:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
Ultima Skills Training extends its Equality and Diversity Policy across all of our employees, learners, stakeholders, visitors and customers. All employees are responsible for the promotion and advancement of this policy, and the Operations Manager and Directors will ensure that the policy is adhered to. We will ensure this policy is promoted by:
- Embedding equality and diversity into learner training throughout the duration of their learning.
- Completing training on induction to a training course or employment to our company.
- Completing staff training with regards to equality and diversity on an ongoing
- Supplying support materials and resources on company notice boards and in portfolios for employees and learners.
- Covering equality and discrimination issues or concerns with learners through quarterly reviews with Ultima and their employer
- By monitoring issues and concerns of the learner through the questionnaire on monthly progress reviews and discussing as part of the quarterly review with the employer and learner.
- Ensuring we continually achieve Disability Confident accreditation.
We will ensure that all employees, learners and customers that everyone helps to implement the policy by:
- Monitoring the effectiveness of our training programmes so that they appeal to all communities and backgrounds. This will be done by monitoring the uptake of our training from different groups so we can then promote inclusion for underrepresented groups. This will then be discussed in Senior Management meetings where we will look at ways to improve upon this.
- Sourcing various resources to help support and benefit individuals depending on their skills set or disabilities. This is for both our employees, customers and learners.
- By addressing any equality and diversity complaints.
- All staff reporting any issues or concerns identified to the operations manager whether in relation to an employee or learner.
- Recruiting staff and learners without discriminating against potential candidates.
- We aim to provide an inclusive and supportive environment in which to learn. All learners will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential.
- To ensure that all staff are trained and understand the policy. This will be completed on induction to the company and any changes to this will be communicated by the Directors or Operations Manager.
- To continually discuss and teach learners about equality and diversity throughout the duration of their learning. This will be covered at each progress review to assess knowledge and understanding in this area, as well as discuss any issues they may have.
- Senior managers will cover equality and diversity issues or concerns as part of the company’s management meetings
Full and ongoing equality, diversity and inclusion training will be completed with both employees and learners. Any new employees starting with our company will complete equality and diversity training to give them understanding of what it is, how to identify discrimination, and the reporting procedure. In addition, they will also need to complete our online questionnaire on Survey Monkey to assess their current knowledge.
The Operations Manager will deliver formal ongoing training, at a minimum of every 6 months to keep employee knowledge current and up to date. Any significant or substantial changes within the 6 month period will be communicated to staff through team meetings.
All learners will complete equality and diversity training upon induction to their training course. We will support them in understanding what equality and diversity is, how to identify potential discrimination and the reporting procedure. Throughout their time with us, it will be embedded into learning and specific training sessions will be completed. All training and knowledge will be reviewed through ongoing progress reviews.
When recruiting new employees and apprentices, it is important to adhere to equality and diversity procedures so we can promote a society that does not discriminate in relation to anyone that falls within the protective characteristics. We will do this by:
- Ensuring we treat every potential employee and learner with respect.
- Ensuring discrimination and stereotyping play absolutely no part in recruiting/selecting employees or learners.
- Ensuring we value differences from one individual to the next and acknowledge the positive benefits for Ultima to allow us to create a diverse and talented team.
- Selecting the best employee or learner for the role advertised based purely on qualification/experience.
- Support the employer to fully understand the benefits of a diverse workplace rather than stereotypical choices.
Individual learners, employees and visitors are responsible for:
- Supporting the aims of this policy;
- Promoting equality of opportunity;
- Contributing to an environment free of fear or intimidation and which celebrates diversity;
- Ensuring that their behaviour and actions do not amount to discrimination, harassment, bullying or victimisation in any way.
Breach of the Policy
In particular, individual learners, employees and customers:
- Must not discriminate against others in any employment or educational activities;
- Must not victimise individuals who have given information to line managers/assessors or tutors on equality matters or who have made complaints;
- Learners should inform assessors or tutors if they have reasonable grounds for believing discrimination is taking place;
- Employees, learners and customers should all inform the Operations Manager, Safeguarding Officer or company directors of any issues or concerns identified, whether in relation to themselves or others
- Must not encourage others, or yield to pressure from others, to discriminate unlawfully.
- Should complete the attached Equal Opportunities Complaint Form with full details of the breach of Equality and Diversity. This should then be passed to the Operations Manager to deal with.
All employees, customers or learners should know that they may be held personally liable for acts of discrimination which they commit or authorise. Ultima regards any acts of discrimination or harassment as a disciplinary matter.
Any learner who has concerns or issues for discussion in relation to the policy may raise these with their assessor or tutor, and any employee should raise them with their manager.
Equal Opportunities Complaints Form
|Equal Opportunities Complaint Form|
Place of Work:
Qualification (if applicable):
Date of Incident:
Location of Incident:
Name(s) of Others Involved (Including Witnesses):
Nature of Complaint. Please be as precise as possible, but include all information that you consider to be relevant:
|Once completed, this form should be handed to the Operations Manager as quickly as possible after the incident occurred. Please retain a copy of the completed form for your own records. You will be contacted within TWO working days of submitting the complaint to arrange the date, time and location for an interview to be conducted.|